Morningstar Sunguard Solar Regulator 4.5Amp 12Volt
Product Code: SG-4
Small solar panel charge controller 4.5A 12V
This solar regulator for 12v battery charging provides high quality solar charge control at low cost.
The maximum continuous rating is 4.5 Amps and short term (5 min.) maximum current is 5.5 Amps, suitable for solar panels up to 65 Watts
• ISO 9002 quality programs
• Series design (not shunt)
• 100% solid state
• True 0 to 100% PWM duty cycle
• Setpoint accuracy to 60 mV • Temperature compensation
• Rated for 25% overloads
• No need to derate
• Lightning protected with 1500 W transorbs
• Self-consumption is 6 mA
• Fully encapsulated in epoxy potting
• ABS plastic, impact-resistant case
• Outdoor rated, Hypalon connecting wires
1. SunGuard can be mounted in any position. It is best to mount to a vertical surface and allow space for air flow through the controller.
2. First connect the Battery BLACK wire (negative) to the battery. Use either black wire since they are connected together inside the controller.
3. Connect the RED Battery positive wire to the battery.
4. Connect the Solar array using the other BLACK wire and the YELLOW Solar positive wire. Be very careful not to short circuit the solar array, or the controller will be damaged.
5. SunGuard prevents reverse current leakage at night, so a blocking diode is not required in the system.
6. A negative earth ground at the battery is recommended for most effective lightning protection.
7. SunGuard can be mounted outdoors. Do not expose to temperatures above 60˚C. Make sure that water will drain from inside the case.
Wire size #16 AWG
ABS plastic case Epoxy encapsulated
Weight is 3 oz (0.09 kg)
Rated Solar Input 4.5 Amps
Max. Input (5 min.) 5.5 Amps
System Voltage 12 Volts
Max. Solar Voltage 30 Volts
Regulation Voltage 14.1 Volts
Accuracy 60 mV
Self-consumption 6 mA
Temp. Compensation –28 mV/°C
Reverse Current Leakage <10 µA
Operating Temperature –40 to +85°C
Morningstar Sunguard Manual (PDF File)